Sunday, January 25, 2009


So... it's been a while since I've worked on the blog. Did you miss me? I hope there's no hard feelings. I was gonna call, I swear. After deciding to go back to full-time freelancing and getting the FUN is OK site up, life got pretty busy and the blog fell by the wayside. I decided that if doing the blog ever became something other than a fun side project, then it was time to take a break... so I did.

My last post was a celebratory one, with the announcement of Barack Obama as our new president. I hate to see it go, but it looks like I'm gonna have to retire my George Bush Not My President tee from the good kids over at I've proudly worn this shirt for 8 years and it's been to 4 countries, but now it's time to say goodbye.

Less than a month into 2009 and I've already been to a wedding, a funeral and 4 of these United States. I spent the holidays with my family in Kansas. Chelsea joined me for a wild New Year's Eve, Kansas style. Then we were off to California for Jessie Lev's wedding in Fortuna. I got to meet all of Chelsea's old crew team, get asked when we're getting married about a thousand times and dine on a fine hangover meal at Denny's. It was a busy (but amazing) 3 days.

Soon after we got back to Denver, I found out that my old roommate Scott Murray died suddenly. The news shocked me and kept me numb for a day, until I could wrap my mind around it. Scott was a great guy and even though we hadn't been good about keeping in touch, he was a good friend. I flew back to Fresno for the funeral and got to see some of my college buddies - Guito, Alec, Nik, Rob and Chris. It bothers me that it takes something that painful to get friends together, but I guess we all get busy with our daily lives.

After the funeral, I headed up to SF for a few days to see some of my closest friends. Dinner at The Mahaloneys on Friday night with Daniel, Rachel, Peter, Anna, Mike and Steven was awesome! Breakfast at Scharfenberger on Saturday with Jocelynn, her mom and Terry was dee-licious. Then it was off to the old hood to spend the day with Mr. David Benzler. Man, I miss that guy. I hadn't seen him in almost a year, but we didn't skip a beat. We grilled sausages on his deck in Bernal Heights and had the best sunset view of the city that I've ever seen. Then Jon came through and we hung out drinking while David snored the paint off the walls. After waking his old ass up, we headed down the hill to Nap's on picturesque Mission Blvd. to play dice in the backyard. Good times, good times... that was until the guy with the scorpion tattoo on his face wanted to play. David handled the dude and we kept on playing. Sunday morning, I trekked through the Mission to Boogaloos for breakfast with Anee. You can take the girl out of the Mission, but you can't... well, you know the old saying. We cruised around for a while and she bought a New Kids on The Block doll from a crackhead on the street. Just like the old days.

Over the next week or so, I will attempt to play catch up on the blog and post photos and wise-ass comments from all the events that have taken place over the last few months. I will also attempt to write a longer run-on sentence than the one you just read. Jeez.

I was nervous about where to start this first post, but I think I've rambled long enough. 2009 is going to be a great year. I've got my girl and life is good. Stay tuned.

No comments: